Friday, July 9, 2010

The Woes of doing Model Testing



About a week or so ago I had the opportunity to meet Doda, a cocky young male model that asked me if I would be willing to do a test for him. He found me on modelmayhem.com. Normally, most of my tests go fairly smooth, so there isn’t much that can turn the scene into something uncomfortable, but I think this one really caught me in a bad way. And I was a bit upset by the fact that he ageed to do a shirtless shoot, but meanwhile I would provide a shot of him in a suit and some headshots. All came fine with the suit shots and headshots, but when it came to doing the shirtless shots, he suddenly said, ‘Oh, I don’t feel so well’. It ended there. He wasn’t about to go any further with the shoot, and I wasn’t going to coerce him to do so. It just really irked me that he was only wanting to do what he wanted for his own port. He then asked if I could provide him with all the RAW files to the shoot. I said no, explaining to him that I need to edit and retouch the images. He then said he was studying to be a graphic artist (really?), and that he could retouch them. I decided that I would offer him a set of medium resolution files on the spot of all the images taken. I didn’t feel exactly good about it, but it was the most I would offer at the time. I may not know what the perfect policy is behind this, but this was the first time I felt that this was not the way it should be. Regardless, I did pick out a few good images from the shoot.

To see the other shots from the shoot, please take a look at my new website as hosted on Photoshelter.

Special thanks to Patryk Chaou for bringing in the clothes, courtesy of Dunhill, Wil Wu for the makeup, and assistant Nathan Chan.

No comments:

Post a Comment