Sunday, May 23, 2010

Nelson and the male ego as expressed through the body physique




Through my years of photographing the male human body form that there lies an immense need and desire for men love themselves in a very narcissistic way. We are lucky in this day and age that we have found the simple methods in which to create and sculpt the body to whatever means we see fit, and that the only thing that really determines if we can achieve this goal is our sheer determination, will-power and desire to make it happen. With the right combination of physical exercise, supplements, nutrition, and mental stamina to just do it, it can all be achieved. Many of the guys that I photograph with really muscular physiques have this mental ability and perhaps some plain old good genetics that allow them to look the way they do. But I know that there is more, and that in lies the question: Why? I believe it has to do with a combination of sexual desire (attraction from others), vanity (attraction of themselves), and ego (self-centered, self-absorbed). The male physique (whether it be Asia, Caucasian or otherwise), when molded and shaped into what they believe makes them look better, sexier and hotter, is something that completely self-absorbed and ego-driven. I have been there. Done that. I remember the first time during my teenage years seeing my arms ‘grow’ bigger from doing simple push-ups. Rush. Cool. I was so excited by it, that I bought mail order workout manuals with drawings of Arnold Schwarzenegger doing different exercises. My brothers must have thought I was some freak. It was all ego.

No comments:

Post a Comment