Wednesday, May 5, 2010

When a photograph is 'right' to the eye...

When I find a photograph I really like, the image will speak to me. What it says is nothing about how I photographed the work, or what I did to make that image look right. It transcends description of how the light falls so ever gently onto a person's face, or of how the posing was so good and that the model great. When a photograph is 'right', there are no words to describe the process or behavior of elements that make up for what it is. All too often we have to justify why an image is good. The only reason we need to say so it to prove or validate ourselves (or others). And we need to qualify our own needs for who we are. This photograph of Ray is just that, a photograph that works for what it is. I accept it for what it is and it satisfies a part of my intellectual, emotional and spiritual psyche. I hope you see some of that I share.

No comments:

Post a Comment